- Performs comprehensive respiratory assessment. Utilizes assessment data to determine patient’s actual or potential problems.
- Performs comprehensive respiratory assessment and respiratory therapy as prescribed by a physician. Provides patient/family with respiratory therapy education. Prepares, operates and maintains respiratory test/care equipment.
- Perform a variety of pulmonary function tests including, spirometry, lung volumes, diffusion capacity, airway resistance, thoracic gas volume, respiratory muscle strength, and arterial puncture testing.
- Ensure equipment is prepared for use by selecting, assembling, and verifying functionality and cleanliness. Collect and evaluate clinical data, while performing and evaluating quality control data. Perform other cardiopulmonary tests as ordered.
- Performs bedside pulmonary function studies as per physician’s order. Collaborates with physicians on patient’s plan of care.
- Evaluates patient’s responses to respiratory care. Utilizes a process in delivering care to assigned patients. Performs physical chest therapy (cupping) to loosen and mobilize secretions and mucus in the lungs and clears airway blockage in the patient’s respiratory system, as needed.
- Performs standard suctioning techniques as indicated, collecting the appropriate, requested specimens. Implements ventilator management/weaning protocols. Performs bronchial hygiene and airways care procedures.
- Collects arterial and venous samples for blood gas analysis, notifies physicians of results and performs appropriate changes in ventilator parameters. Implements, monitors, and maintains non-invasive mechanical ventilation.
- Monitors gas exchange via non-invasive measures including pulse oximetry and capnography. Assists in transport of mechanically ventilated patients with artificial airways.
- Administers oxygen and humidification therapy as per physician’s order and department policy. Initiates, monitors and adjusts parameters on continuous mechanical ventilation.
- Responds to cardiopulmonary emergencies and renders care as per ACLS/BCLS standards. Provides emergent airway care including intubation as per department policy.
- Implements ventilator management adhering to protocols as per department and Intensive Care Unit standards.
- Provides patient/family with respiratory therapy education as ordered. Completes departmental paperwork as specified for each assignment completed and assists with inventory control. Adheres to established infection control protocols and fire safety protocols.
- Performs related duties within NJ scope of practice and hospital policy/procedures, as assigned or required.
Atlantic Health System, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and therefore abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, or veteran status.