The AMG Chief Operating Officer (COO) is a key member of the AMG executive team, responsible for the overall day to day functioning of all AMG practice sites. As a member of the team, the COO helps assure that the AMG strategic goals and operating plan objectives are achieved and that the site specific objectives for financial effectiveness are met. Overarching objectives of timely patient access and creating the ideal patient experience are a significant area of emphasis for the COO.
The COO reports to the AMG President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and closely collaborates with the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) in a dyad leadership model on matters of patient care quality and physician performance. The COO collaborates with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) on matters related to budgeting, financial performance, the revenue cycle and capital resource allocation. The COO works with leaders of Atlantic Health System corporate staff functions such as information systems and services, human resources, and planning and marketing. The COO also collaborates with the hospital leadership teams to assure that mutual objectives are met.
Reporting to the COO are three (3) division directors who are responsible for practices related by specialty or geography. The dyad leadership model pairing a physician with a manager or executive is used at the director and regional administrator levels and at the practice sites.
Also reporting to the COO are the staff functions of human resources, business development, marketing and communications and facilities and supplies.
The Atlantic Medical Group is composed of 900 physicians and advance practice clinicians with annual net revenues in excess of $300 Million.
- Implement and evaluate progress toward strategic and annual operating goal achievement. Provide feedback to AMG executive leadership regarding results, including necessary changes in direction.
- Take action to assure that financial and operating benchmarks are met in pursuit of the goal for AMG to be a high performing medical group.
- Establish policy, procedure and operational processes consistently across all practice sites.
- Assure that the operational infrastructure is highly responsive to the needs of physicians and other providers and that results in high levels of engagement and retention.
- Lead Directors to ensure implementation and maintenance of high level financial and revenue cycle performance.
- Routinely monitor and promote proactive intervention in areas affecting the revenue cycle, such as registration, time of service cash collections, appointment scheduling, charge entry and coding.
- Routinely monitor and promote proactive intervention in areas affecting operating expenses.
- Establish effective communication with physicians to enable understanding of regular practice operational reporting.
- Increase the management team’s effectiveness by:
- Recruiting, training, coaching and mentoring managers at the site and region.
- Communicating values, strategies and objectives in an effective manner.
- Developing a culture of open communication and information sharing.
- Supporting professional development and educational opportunities.
- Work to optimize practice site deployment to achieve economic scale and enhance patient access.
- Lead evaluation of facility needs and development of facility plans.
- Collaborate with other senior AMG team members on practice acquisitions, physician manpower planning, physician recruiting and provider contracting.
- Monitor operations to assure that patient access meets defined standards and patient services create an ideal experience.
- Collaborate with other senior AMG team members to assure internal controls are in place and regularly monitored.
- Assure that practice site operations are conducted in compliance with applicable law, regulation and AMG and AHS policy.
- Conduct business operations in a culture of transparency, sharing with all levels of staff AMG’s goals, objectives, results and AMG’s role within AMG, including updates on other AHS organizations.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with other key leaders and others in AHS.
- Collaborate with other AMG leaders on AHS-wide activities to assure consistency of approach.
- Assure that all business is conducted at the highest possible levels of integrity.